Saturday, October 19, 2013

I have taught for 16 years.  Always in kindergarten or first grade.  I teach at a high poverty school.  My class this year is composed of 80% English Learners.  I am delving into the common core.  I wanted to start this blog as an avenue to discuss and share how I am doing this at the primary level.  One of my accomplishments has been introducing the term "evidence" and having students site what the evidence is and where they got it from.  They are doing great with this!  Sentences are beginning with "The evidence for ___ is ___, I saw it on __ page."  Then I ask students if they agree or disagree and we are having discussions on this.  Any of you who teach kindergarten know this took some training, on top of that many of my students are struggling with English, so it's a double whammy!  But they are being successful. 

I do have resources on how to ask young learners text dependent questions, you might want to check out my store at TeachersPayTeachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment