Sunday, January 3, 2016

End of Winter Break


Image result for teacher meme on break is over
ARGH!  I go back to work tomorrow!  I don't know if you are anything like I am.  I LOVE teaching, but I also LOVE my time off with my family.  Here it is the Sunday before going back and I just sat down and graded my ELA tests and spelling tests.  What's wrong with me?  I had 2 weeks to do this.  I also brought my science curriculum home and today sat and planned my new unit for science.  Am I the only one out there that does this?  As I'm sitting here planning I'm dreading having to set my alarm.  It's been so nice to sleep in for two weeks.  Of course, anyone not in our profession, (like my husband) thinks teachers are spoiled.  What other profession do you get 2 weeks off at Christmas time?  A week off in the spring?  And so many 3 day weekends?  AND the summer off?

I am also not looking forward to the weather, living in California we are lucky to have so many sunny warm days, but because of this many schools are designed where students eat outside and PE happens outside.  In many Southern California schools there is no gymnasium.  This means, we (the teachers) keep our students in our classrooms if it is raining during recess and PE.  Well, they are forecasting a weeks worth of rain, starting tomorrow!  My husband says, "What's the big deal?  We need the rain, we are in a drought."  He just doesn't understand what it's like to be contained indoors all day with 30 10 year olds, who have not gotten to go outside and let off some steam.  When we have indoor recess my students always want to play, "Heads Up, Seven Up", I dislike this indoor game for several reasons.  It's too easy for students to cheat.  The same students get picked over and over.  But most of all, not enough physical movement.  I love my students and have the sweetest students anyone could ever hope for, but it's supposed to rain all week.  They will need to move!  I'm going to hope and pray that the rain goes away right before recess and right before lunch.  If it doesn't I do have some back up resources.

Have you tried https://www.gonoodle.com/?

If you haven't it's a website that students dance/exercise to.  When I taught kindergarten my students LOVED it, when I taught first grade, they LOVED it, I was a little hesitant to use it in fourth grade, but they love it, too!

Also, this website has some great ideas for indoor recess games:  http://www.proteacher.org/c/244_Indoor_Recess_Games.html.  It's open, so add your ideas, too!

This site gives some ideas that make staying indoors fun for your students:  http://btsafun.wikispaces.com/Indoor+PE+Activitie. 

And if you are in the mood for a quiet recess, you might want to play a movie.   There is always youtube, but I watch those movies before they play, as you never know what advertisement will play, or if it's appropriate.  Instead my go to, is edpuzzle.  Teachers have added movies to this site and most of them have the advertisements taken out of them.  Some even have a quiz embedded in the movie.  https://edpuzzle.com/ I find this site helpful when teaching a new concept.  I can put a video in my class then tell parents that I've uploaded a new video.  I don't know how many emails I've gotten from parents thanking me, because now they understand how to help their child with the new math concept.  Or it gave them more background information in the science unit.

I hope your transition back to school is a happy and pleasant experience!  And those of you that have three weeks off for winter break, well, I don't want to talk to you!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment